I’m on vacation this week and next because Larry and I are moving out of our home of 20 years and relocating all of our worldly possessions to the other side of town. We move on Monday (June 2) and packing and unpacking is my focus.
- I’ve gone into field marshall mode. Boxes are labeled and color coded. Rooms in the new house will be labeled so all mostly ends up in the right place. Larry thinks I’m crazy. Movers will fall in love with me on the spot.
- When you tire of filling boxes, you get to switch to the yucky stuff: purging 10-year-old spices, bottles with one tablespoon of oil left, and half-empty boxes of lemon jello.
If you come by my house in the next three days, you can have one of my three Trivial Pursuit games.
- Apparently, all of our money is in books. Saddest moment, emptying the books from the built-ins we added to our living room four years ago.
- To survive, go to the liquor store, not due to the stress of moving but for the perfect boxes. (We got about 50% more liquor store boxes than we needed.) Books aren’t breakable, making them so easy to pack.
As you pack, and while you’re waiting for moving day to arrive, create a themed end table.
- Mom, if you’re reading this, I’m sorry I didn’t take my s**t with me when I graduated from college. You wanted me to, I didn’t, and they didn’t either.
- Ultimate revenge: our kids will have to deal with the 150 – 200 boxes of books we’ll have by the time we age in place and die in the new house. Wait, any chance Jack and Rebecca’s future wealth will be in those books? A non-ebook version of Little Women or Light in August might be worth even more by then.
VHS movies, do they stay or do they go? #WizardofOz among them. Larry weighed in on that question. We are moving all media even if we don’t have a device to play it on.
- Don’t sit down. If you do, you won’t feel the same for about an hour.
- This guy. Took me to my last move to buy one of these tape dispenser thingys. Worth the $24.00 I spent.
Seriously. No one in this house now (or ever) really fished. Another trip to Goodwill.
- Friends like Mary and John are making me deny my Southern roots and show up at their house tonight for dinner with nothing in hand. They are simplifying my life today! So grateful for them today and always.
- There’s a museum of your life in drawers: a butterfly sticker, bits of green paint, notes, baseball bats, and tinsel from Christmas trees.
You can draw blood with a Bungee cord. I proved it this week.
Lights, camera, action. (We’re ready for Act Two.)